Born in Milan in 1921, the Italian architect, urban planner, and industrial designer Angelo Mangiarotti finished studying at Milan Polytechnic in 1948. By 1953-54 he was a visiting lecturer for design at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. In 1955 Angelo Mangiarotti returned to Milan, where he had a joint practice with Bruno Morassutti from 1955 until 1960.
Angelo Mangiarotti worked as a design consultant for various firms, designed stackable shelving systems and tables. In 1960 Angelo Mangiarotti joined the Associazone per il Disegno Industriale and founded a solo practice. That same year, 1960, Angelo Mangiarotti designed "Section", a range of table clocks with plastic cases. In 1966-67 Angelo Mangiarotti designed the "Lesbo" and "Saffo" lamps for Artemide, featuring lampshades in organic shapes of handblown Murano glass with graded opaque shading that softens the light they cast makes them cast. In 1967 Vetreria Vistosi entwirft Angelo Mangiarotti designed "Giogali", a lighting range for Vetreria Vistosi. They are ceiling lamps, some of them pendent, made of several horizontally arranged metal rings into which bent glass loops are hung to create a dense, reticular fabric of transparent glass.
In the late 1960s, a curtain of glass rings hooked into each other created a room divider. For Knoll International Angelo Mangiarotti designed several sculptural-looking glass vases and marble dishes. As an architect, Angelo Mangiarotti designed several buildings in the International Modern style, built of prefab elements of reinforced concrete. In Milan, Angelo Mangiarotti built the Mater Misericordiae church in 1957 and, in 1959-60, a housing unit for several families.
In 1963-64 Angelo Mangiarotti was a visiting professor at the Istituto Superiore di Disegno Industriale in Venice and has been a visiting professor at numerous institutions in Italy and abroad.
Interested in works by Angelo Mangiarotti?Free info-services
Would you like to sell a work by Angelo Mangiarotti?Infos for seller